It is a very good idea to do a little bit of research before you plan on taking a trip to anywhere in the world, especially when it comes to finding the best places to stay in Turks and Caicos. so I have comprised a list of facts that you might find useful to know about the Turks and Caicos Islands (or if a question strangely comes up in a pub quiz or something).
- The islands are not technically in the Caribbean Sea but part of the Atlantic Ocean,
- With a population of just over 36,000 only eight of the main islands actually have people living on them.
- Although a tropical island it has less than 75cm of rainfall a year, much less than many of its neighbours.
- The original inhabitants of Turks and Caicos originated from South America.
- The original inhabitants were wiped out in less than forty years after the arrival of the Europeans in 1492.
- Turks and Caicos used to have giant tortoises but the original inhabitants ate them all.
- On average a major hurricane hits the islands every seven years, the last one being the category four hurricane Ike damaging 80% percent of the homes on Grand Turk.
- Salt used to be the driving force of the economy although now it is mainly driven by tourism.
- Over 1.3 million people travelled to the islands last year with most arriving from the United States.
- The most exclusive resort on the islands is the Parrot Cay resort with a three bed villa costing up to $11,000 per night and the eleven bedroom Residence Villa costing $38,000 per night. This is where the movers and shakers of the pop and movie world stay!
So there it is folks, some interesting facts to know about Turks and Caicos before you go. Don’t be so worried about the prices though, there are plenty of places to stay in Turks and Caicos without bankrupting yourself in the process.
Above is a list of tips that I think are extremely useful to know before you get on the plane to Turks and Caicos, if you follow them I am sure you’ll be prepared for the amazing holiday that’s waiting for you on the other side. There is however always lots more info at hand to prepare you for your holiday, I don’t think you can be over prepared! Being prepared ensures that everything will go exactly to plan. So, this is where you guys come in and can help everyone who is looking to visit Turks and Caicos – have you been lucky enough to visit Turks and Caicos before? If the answer is yes then I think it’s about time you shared all of your tips with the rest of us. It would be brilliant if you can list all the tips and info in the comment section below it would be super helpful! So have a quick think about the info you wish you had known before you visited – first hand information is absolutely invaluable, so please share all you can.